Townsville Cricket Matches to take another week off
Date of Event : Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:44PM

Cricket will return in Townsville on the 22nd / 23rd February. This follows a meeting this evening with Townsville Cricket Club Presidents, Council representatives and Townsville Cricket Management Committee where a decision was reached to postpone the recommencement of the cricket season for another week. In seniors no cricket will be lost due to the opportunity to push the season back 1 week with finals now planned for 6/7th April. The draw on MyCricket will updated in due course to represent this.

This decision was not taken lightly with the main contributing factors being ground availability and the potential unavailability of possible players, coaches and volunteers due to the continuing recovery process still being undertaken in our city.

Council have been doing a remarkable job in returning our city back to some form of normality, and due to this have not been able to finalise assessing the fitness of all our playing grounds for both senior and junior matches. The health and safety of our cricket community is important to us and as such without this approval we would be short of grounds to adequately undertake junior and senior fixtures. We have been, and will continue to, liaise with council as they undertake this mammoth task.

With Endeavour Park and The Green out of action for a number of weeks due to being submerged in the flood, and with Riverway Stadium out for a week after council staff only went back to preparing the stadium after working on council recovery teams assisting those in need within our community. Our stock of playing ovals has been greatly reduced.

With junior astro grounds at Cutheringa and Gill Park, council teams have also not been able to undertake mowing of these grounds or assessment of the grounds.

Many people within the community are still coming to terms with the significant impact that this event has had on them and their family. Another week will give those members the opportunity to not think about cricket for another week. Our thoughts are with those members of the community.

We understand that some players and parents may be disappointed in this decision but without clear approval on the fitness of the grounds, the health of our players is paramount and without knowing when grounds would be approved, an early decision to advise players and parents was seen as best to allow many in our community to continue with their recovery process.

Townsville Cricket also acknowledge and thank our neighbouring cricket associations in Home Hill, Charters Towers and Ingham for their offer of support, it was greatly but with many families without transport we are unable to fully utilise your offers at this time.

I appreciate the time and open discussion by all members at the meeting, and we look forward to getting back on to the pitch as soon as possible.

If anybody has any questions please discuss first with your club presidents who attended the meeting.

Last updated: Thursday February 14, 2019 4:54PM
Author: Ross Shaw